A newly released training video, DVD-166C, “Counterfeit Electronic Components” from IPC — Association Connecting Electronics Industries®, explains not only how counterfeit components find their way into the supply chain, but more important, how to detect fraudulent devices during visual inspection.
Counterfeit electronic components are an increasing challenge for the electronics industry and a potentially life-threatening issue in military, aerospace and medical electronics. “Even the best visual inspection only catches about 80 percent of all counterfeit components. The remaining 20 percent will escape detection and when you’re dealing with substandard or counterfeit components, 20 percent is not a good number,” said Dave Torp, IPC vice president of standards and technology. “IPC’s volunteer member community has created an essential ingredient for detection and prevention of counterfeit electronic components – and that is training.”
Companies now have a resource to help train their stockroom, production and inspection technicians on common visual indicators of counterfeit and substandard components and to effectively utilize more sophisticated detection methods such as scanning electron microscopes and X-ray fluorescent spectroscopy systems.
Available on standard definition DVD in wide-screen format or Blu-ray in hi-definition, DVD-166C, “Counterfeit Components,” can be purchased from the IPC Online Store. The standard definition DVD is $495 for IPC members and $595 for nonmembers. The Blu-ray is $545 for members and $645 for nonmembers. Online video training is also available. For additional information or to make a purchase, visit www.ipc.org/DVD-166C.
This is the most important reason to keep PCB assembly projects here in the US. At Precision Technologies, we are committed to service and guarantee 100% original components direct from our distributors when you order prototype PCB assembly or low volume production with us.